I said I would add a few sites I mentioned in Seattle's session.
I put them at the bottom of the page. There are also new sites added for California.
1. Puzzlemaker (also available on a CDRom)
2. Brain Boosters
3. Yucky Fun and Games from Discovery School
4. Mrs. Alphabet
Lots of printables as well as online games for the young. Click on Just for Kids and then "games." Choices include: hangman, tic-tac-toe, checkers, coloring books, Rubik Cube and many more. There are also links in the "Classroom" section. If you click on the "math" link at the bottom of the page, you get a big list of math activities. Many of them lead to sites outside of Mrs. Alphabet.
5. Kids' Domain-- games to download
6. Kids' Domain -- Brain Games
7. Enchanted Learning
Coloring books, dot-to-dot, logic puzzles, truck game, word searches and more. This link takes you to the site index rather than the main page.
8. Fun School
Bottom of page has sections for each grade level. This is part of Kids' Domain and Zeeks.
9. Cartoon Network Games
10. A Game A Day
http://www.agameaday.com/kidsindex.htm A monthly calendar with a game for every day. A variety of levels and types. The site is not searchable. There is a CDROM for "free" for a $5.95 shipping charge. It has 101 games on it.
This will take you to a list of all the games on the CyberKids site.
12. Fun Brain
This is a division of the Family Education Network. Games can be selected by intended age or by name. This site has nice sections for both parents and teachers.
13. Kid's Hub
http://www.kidshub.org/kids/kids.cfm Aimed at elementary and middle school students. Includes an area of homework help resources. This is related to High School Hub, and Quiz Hub. Online coloring pages available.
http://www.bonus.com There are sections for parents and teacher. Check the area that links games to the curriculum and games that can be used as homework enhancers. More on this site than just games.
15. Jig Zone
http://www.jigzone.com/ Online jigzaw puzzles from 6 pieces to 247. You can turn your own photos into online jigsaw puzzles. It is free right now.
16. Puzzle Factory
http://www.thepuzzlefactory.com/ Popup advertisment . Jigsaw puzzles, memory games, sliders, word games, coloring books, and a variety of arcade games. Can download games to play offline.
17. Puzzle House -- this leads to a link to some free online jigsaw puzzles. The site also sells jigsaw puzzles.
18. Bits and Pieces -- Look for the link to games and then online games. They are free.
19. Bible Puzzle Site
20. Solve Puzzles.com
21. RiverDeep -- sampling of free programs off their many educational CD's. Several games in three areas. Math, Critical Thinking and Language Arts.
http://www.kidscom.com/home_flash.html This site does have a section for Chat.
23. KidsCom Jr.
http://www.kidscomjr.com/flash_index.html for younger children and preschoolers.
http://www.kidsnewsroom.com/games/games.asp Ping Pong, Connect the Dots, Mine Sweeper, Flash Cards, Checkers, Tic-Tac-Toe, and more.
25. Kid Wizard
http://www.kidwizard.com/ For ages 6-12. Online Stories, games and science. Recipes with disgusting names will appeal to kids.
Sliding games, logic puzzles and more. Cute site with reference to Kid wizards and Parent wizards.
26. Eduplace -- Houghton Mifflin
Good selection of brain teasers divided by age.
27. Primary Games
Also fall stationary, coloring, postcards and crafts. Curriculum guide for teachers. Nice feature is being able to search within the site, scroll to the bottom of the page to do this.
28. Zoog Disney Games
29. Fun Island
Arcade, puzzles, board games and educational games.
30. Neo Pets
31. Carmine's Landscape Adventure -- Art and more. This is from A Lifetime of Color Web site.
32. Kinetic City
33. M&M Games
34. Math Dork
Arcade type games with an algebra focus. Needs Flash 4. More is available for a subscription fee.
35. Math Cats Try clicking on the site map for a list of what is available Site Map for Math Cats.
36. Math Puzzles -- The first page is very overwhelming. Complex mazes and more; not just elementary
37. Cool Math 4 Kids
38. Amusement Park Physics
39. Brain Quest
41. NASA Kids -- Puzzles and Games
42. Scholastic Kids
43. Nickelodeon Games
Lists of games
44. Kids' Click
Lots are listed, but they include the reading level.
45. Yahooligans: Games: Board Games, card games, word games and more. Search for games at Yahooligans and get links to comptuer games, math games and more for kids.
46. Multnomah County Library Kids Page. Click on the link for games.
48. About.com Math Games
49. Wic-Kid Mystery Games
Online for Younger Students
50. Clifford the Big Red Dog
51. Alfy.com You are drawn to click on a game portion called Clever Island and charges a fee, $70 a year. No advertising. However, if you click on Alfy Park part of the map will lead you to free activities including an arcade, brain games, matching, and more. There is a section for parents and one for teachers. I found the site annoying and it kept looping to more menus and took forever to
52. Enchanted Learning
53. Game Goo
54. Jan Brett, Games
Most of these are printables, but a few are played online
55. MeddyBemps Colored Jelly Beans help mark the grade level of each activitiy
56. Sagwa the Chinese Siamese Cat
57. PBS Kids Games Home
Games from all of the PBS children's programming
59. Jump Start Most of this is subscription based.
60. Billy Bear's Fun and Games
Some are to do online, some are to download and others are to print.
61. Little Animals Activity Center. From BBCi for ages 4-8.
Stories, math and music games.
Also from the BBCi
63. Nick Jr.
Evaluation and Teaching Tools
64. Cyberbee: Games Children Play -- Excellent article by Linda Joseph.
I like the activity she links to at Teacher Vision for creating a Harry Potter board game that includes getting kids learning to write inference and recall questions to use with the game. Harry Potter game.
65. Adapt this rubric to help evaluate games
66. Evaluating Math Games
Look at the evaluation questions for students, parents and teachers.
67. Brief Rubric for evaluating a web site
Miscellaneous Resources for Games
68. Games Kids Play (non computer) Rules for games:
69. Game Kids -- from Hawaii
Kids have contributed game and activity ideas of all types.
70. Game Central Station for PE Teachers
71. Classroom ESL Games
Translate these games into Japanese.
Check out the link to the "Fun Talking Pages" and the "Phonics."
72. TEFLGames -- aimed at ESL
This site would like you to buy some of their materials, but there is a large section available for free. Many printables.
73. Children's Games from Around the World
75. Clever Games for Clever People
76. Build a Prairie Online
77. Library of Congress Detective Game
For Older Game Players
78. CR Puzzles: Your Online Puzzle Magazine
Site has some advertising.
Whoops! Added late
79. Fox TV Kids Games
80. Family Fun -- from Disney -- crafts and activities
81. Not on your list: Dawne's Educational Games.. Print out type A homeschooling site.
Lucovic -- Learn about seasons, weather, time, days of the week or the calendar. Can be slow to load.
United Nations Cyberschool Bus
Jefferson Lab, Games and Puzzles
American Museum of Natural History-- Ology
Dositey.com interactive games, worksheets, etc. organized by grade level
Dav Pilkey's Square Sliders
National Geographic Games and Adventures
Abiator, Gamer's World
Internet Coach -- Puzzle Center
Amazing Adventure Series -- one adventure, one poem, both read aloud using Real Player.
List of Games
Casio -- Contests and Challenges
The art compostition site I mentioned is
Composing with Carl Rungius
Official Site of Hello Kitty -- Coloring Pages and games
Space Trivial -- middle school http://www.wonka.com/PlanetVermes/game_trivia.html
Constitutional Trivia Quiz -- middle school
Tablut Hnefatafl -- strategy --